Saturday, August 20, 2011

When All Else Fails Bake A Cake...

And this is what I use...my ice blue kitchen aid.  It stands proudly on the kitchen bench, knowing it holds a special place in my heart and a key to de-stressing me.  It can sense when I need to don the apron, gather ingredients and fill the house with divine aromas.  It catches my eye and winks and just says..."Suse you know you need me", or "I'll help" or "come on let's have some fun" or "that cup of tea just needs something extra"...  Its instinct is amazing, truly spooky even.  Sometimes it knows the baking just isn't enough - it's a really good rolling on floor belly laugh that's required and it does things like take me through the motions of baking.. to present the biggest fail of a baking episode .....like when we thought a light and lemony angel cake was just the ticket and out of the oven came this beautiful smelling round cake that twisted and covorted and deflated in front of me to look like a dry and wheezened old coconut ring biscuit.  The transformation was jaw dropping!  I disguised "it" as best I could with the icing making it look like an oversized donut! All the time just laughing my tush off.  My 2 baking buddies June and Donna also laughed and laughed at it.  Perfect is just overrated.  Yes there is sheer joy in eating and sharing a delicious cake, but there can be pure happiness is mistakes too.

1 comment:

Annabella said...

Oh now I have a severe case of KitchenAid envy - the ice blue color is gorgeous! But you are right of course, perfection is overrated!