Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My week in movies and a good book



Last night my daughter, a friend and I headed to the last film of the season at the outdoor Somerville theatre.  All I knew was that is was Russian.  It opened with the longest single shot of any movie I've ever seen - so long that we wondered if the film had stalled!  That set the tone.  I loathed all the characters, although I felt midly sympathetic towards the lead, but the mostly they were revolting and sad.  The theme of parental love/obligation is interesting. Overall it was dark and sad with good music. Much like a Russian opera!

I've seen several movies of late: The Hunger Games - not bad.  Went with a bunch of teenagers to a cinema filled with teenagers unable to quietly watch a movie.  Lots of people hissing "Be quiet, "Shut up" and humphing at said noisemakers in the back row!  Funny.  I found the books fascinating with a modern, reworked 1984 theme. Quite scary if you think about where society is heading though, so much violence.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (for the elderly and beautiful).  Loved it.  Not quite as funny as I expected - a bit more real I suppose with its themes, but set against the craziness of modern India. I was happy to be watching a film packed with English actors I adore.

And then Moneyball on dvd.  A good 'ol American baseball flick.  I should have been eating pumpkin pie and drinking budweiser as I watched, but I didn't want to be distracted from Brad Pitt!  Good eye candy as the saying goes.

I also read The Dovekeepers  by Alice Hoffman. A great read about the seige of Masada in Israel by the Romans, told from the perspective of 4 Jewish women.  Now I've started  The Paris Wife by Paula McLain. The story of Ernest Hemingway's first wife. 

I feel as though I've journeyed around the world without the jet lag! 

No comments: